How our Advanced Retention Strategy increased this pet supply company's Email Revenue by 421% within the first month of working with us
Industry: Speciality Platform: Shopify
About the Brand
Pawtrait is a German pet supply company focused on creating one-of-a-kind portraits of their customers’ beloved pets.
Pawtrait’s goal is to immortalize the animals by offering unique, hand-painted, and high-quality portraits in different styles.
The main USPs of the brand include:
Unique portrait styles and quality
Free shipping to DE/AU
Building a strong brand image and nurturing customer relationships were a priority for the company. This required an advanced retention marketing system that needed the expertise of eCom Maniacs.
When the client engaged our services in March 2021, we found that they have not done much in their retention marketing strategy. And this was reflected in the overall Email Revenue coming up to only 10.55%.
What was holding them back:
- A lean and unsegmented subscriber list
- No clear strategy behind retention marketing in general
- Sporadic and inconsistent email Campaign that lacked segmentation
- No pre-, post, and re-engagement Flows set up
March 2021 - Start of our client engagement
April 2021 - Beginning of preliminary adjustments and setting up of flows and campaigns
May 2021 - Comprehensive Email Retention Marketing Strategy goes live
The first month
Email Revenue immediately saw a sharp increase from 10.55% to 24.74% or from €3.0K to €14.7K. (See Graph 1)
Email Flows increased by almost 7x from €2.22K in March 2021 to €13.9K in May 2021 (Table 1) when our Flows set-up went live, as illustrated in the graph below (Graph 2).
Email Revenue went up by 421% and Total Business Revenue increased by 12% within a month of setting up their Advanced Retention Strategy.
Total List Size saw a 1,244.24% increase.
In Q4 of 2021:
(From the start of the client's engagement with eCom Maniacs up to the end of Q4 2021)
Total Revenue amounted to €362K, which is a +573% from the previous year. Email Marketing generated €111K which is revenue growth of 115% from Q3 2021 to Q3 2021.
Email Campaigns saw a 1,411% increase from Q3 2021 at €36.1K revenue generated. Email Flows also increased by 52% from Q3 2021 and generated €74.9K in revenue.
Email List size went from just 33 in April 2021 to 6,153 by the end of November 2021.
eCom Maniacs has provided a customized Retention Strategy that helped increase List Engagement as well as revenue and overall brand growth.
General Strategy Breakdown:
The path to success can be broken down into five major parts.
1. List Growth
Grow and enrich the customer list by designing Popups that capture more first-party profiling data (email, phone number, birthdate).
2. Heavy A/B Testing on Email Flows and Campaigns
Heavy A/B testing played a significant role in the client's success. By testing different design templates, copy, and timelines within our retention channels, we ensured that subscribers were getting relevant content they wanted to engage with.
3. In-Depth Segmentation and Personalization at Scale
We implemented in-depth segmentation to improve Open and Engagement Rates. This meant ensuring each segment received emails curated to feature content with which they had historically engaged more.
4. Branding and Email Design Upgrade
We refreshed email templates with improved design and polished copy that ensured branding consistency throughout Flows and Campaigns.
5. Audience-Specific Copy
Pawtrait had an audience majority that was German-speaking. Therefore, we took extra steps to create all Flows & Campaigns in both English and German to accurately reflect the audience's language preferences.
ADVANCED SEGMENTATION (RETENTION)
We wanted to dive deeper and leverage the power of enriched customers’ profile data in Klaviyo by leveraging the custom fields synced in both email and website engagement metrics.
We established several segments:
- “Engagers” - The people who opened or clicked the email and viewed products during a period of 60 days.
- “VIPs” - Those with the highest LTV and/or loyal customers of the brand. This segment also had the opportunity to receive the early-bird BFCM Campaigns with exclusive discounts.
- “Fading Away” - The segment of subscribers that seemed to have lost interest in the brand. In order to win back this group's attention, we first had to incentivize them.
- “Inactive” - A segment that is periodically suppressed after the subscribers choose not to interact with the final "Break-Up" email (our last attempt to re-engage them). We set this up as a to-be-excluded segment and, in doing so, actively protected the brand's domain reputation regarding deliverability.
OPTIMIZING POPUPS FOR LIST BUILDING
The Popup we created now captures more than just the standard information (email/name). Additional fields were added to the Popup, including birthdate and phone number.
We utilized the following strategies when creating Popups:
- Ensure design is responsive to mobile and desktop.
- Keep Popup designs consistent with website branding.
- Include a clear and compelling Call to Action.
- A/B test time delays.
Pawtrait's Email List size grew to a total of 6,153 subscribers in November 2021, compared to 33 in April 2021.
Within 9 months of working with eCom Maniacs, Pawtrait was able to generate an aggregate all-time email revenue of €166.8K. The Business Revenue also brought in an all-time total of €638.4K.
Q4 2021 closed out with Pawtrait raking in a total Business Revenue of €362K. This is a 573% increase compared to the same quarter of the previous year (Q4 2020).
€111K of this total revenue was generated from Email Marketing, making up 31% of revenue share. This also represents a 115% increase from the previous quarter.
Ready to talk strategy?
If you are serious about hitting record-breaking sales with retention marketing, contact us for a strategy call, where we'll share the most effective and advanced strategies we're using.